As i’m sure you’re aware, vaping is cheaper than smoking traditional tobacco products. Is there anyway to make it cheaper, and have a better, more tasteful vaping experience? If you’re someone who is always on the lookout for vaping sales, increasing the longevity of your Coils can really help to save a bit of money. There are 2 main continual costs when it comes to vaping, your E-liquid or Juice, and your vape coil. These will have to replaced as they are used, and the frequency of purchase depends on how much you vape and how well you are vaping!
How Long Do Vape Coils really last?
In general, a new coil should last between one, to two weeks. However, this can be extended by properly ‘breaking in’ new coils. Doing so will save you money over time, as your coils will be performing more efficiently and will therefore last longer.
‘Breaking in’ a New Vape Coil for Longevity
You’ll notice it’s time to replace your vape coil once you start experiencing a burnt taste with use. Too many people think this replacement process can be done by simply screwing off the old coil, screwing on the new, and then going ahead and vaping as usual. Unfortunately this isn’t the case. To get a long-lasting, premium vaping experience, you need to prime your coils every time you replace them.
How to prime your vape coils:
You know what they say; Out with the Old, In with the New.
Firstly, dispose of your old coil and screw your new one into place. This will allow you to grip the larger tank base during the next step.
Dab the Wicking Material with your E-liquid
Look for the juice holes on the body of the coil’s head. This is where the wick is supposed to make contact with your vape juice. Take your bottle of e-liquid and carefully add a drop of vape juice in each of these holes to saturate the wick. Add another drop inside the head to saturate the wick’s centre. This will allow the coil to effectively soak up the E-liquid before taking your first vape hit.
Take a few dry hits.
Once your device has been appropriately filled, reassemble the tank and attach it to your mod. Take four to five dry hits. (A dry hit is taking a drag without actually activating your battery’s power button). This allows the vape juice from the tank to siphon into the cotton of the wick and be properly absorbed.
Break-in the coil.
Now that you’ve properly saturated the wicking material, it’s time to break-in the new wiring. The coil’s wire will expand when heated and contract when cooled. Because this is the first time you’re using it, it’s good practice to slowly ease it into the expansion phase. Do this by starting usage at a lower wattage than normal, taking a few shorter hits, and then steadily increasing wattage and drag duration until you’re using it as normal. For Starter Kits with only one wattage setting, just take smaller hits to ease the coil into it.
Good practices to start doing when taking into account your coils Life:
Avoid burnt or dry hits
A burnt or dry hit occurs when you don’t have enough vape juice to allow the coil to heat correctly. Instead, because there’s no juice to heat, the coils heat the wicking material which will cause the material to be used up faster and produce a less than desirable vaping experience. You can avoid this by:
- Following the previously mentioned priming instructions. Priming coils allows the coil to ease into their normal operating conditions before properly vaping.
- Avoid over-pressing the on/fire button. . Pay close attention to the taste of your vape to find the sweet spot. If your Vape Kit has wattage adjusting settings, use this to find where your E-liquid has the fullest of flavours. This will prevent you from accidentally creating a dry hit after you’ve finished inhaling.
- Giving 3-5 seconds between hits. Your coil needs to cool down and absorb more e-liquid before it is ready to produce more vapour. Taking hits too quickly could leave your coils dry between hits without you even realising!
- Don’t let your tank become empty Letting your tank drain all the way to the bottom before you refill is asking for trouble. Try to refill at the quarter-tank mark so you’ll never have an opportunity to dry fire.
- Stay at lower wattages whenever possible. Unless you’re looking to replace the clouds in the sky, there isn’t much reason to be vaping at 200W. Imagine this as you sprinting everywhere you go instead of walking, it would knacker you out, right? Instead, you can get by with 20W to 80W for most of your day-to-day vaping without missing out on anything.
How to clean your Vape Coil?
Whether your brand is Smok, Innokin or Aspire, most coils are pretty similar so this advice should help most of you. Once you’ve put a new coil in, this doesn’t mean you should just forget about it. Although it’s easier and less hassle, you can increase life with a few simple steps. Cleaning out this ‘gunk’ can have a negative impact on taste and flavour.
- Blow out excess juice: You’ll always have old juice lying around in a coil, but try to get rid of as much as possible.
- Run the coil under hot running water (Remove from tank first) Hot water will wash away any leftover debris or half-heated liquid that was sticking to the sides.
- Shake out the water: Gently shake out any water that is sitting between the coil wraps and then let your coils air dry on top of a paper towel or other absorbent material. Use a cotton bud to dry and pick up and left over debris if necessary.
- Re-Attach coils to your tank: Put your coils in place and press your on button until they heat up completely. Just like building your coils for the first time, make sure that they heat evenly across all of the wraps. Look for signs that there is anything heating unevenly and make sure it is clean and dry.
- Repeat heating process: Allow your coils to cool for four or five seconds and then fire them again. This process causes your coils to expand and contract, and ensures that they get completely clean before you add e-liquid back into the equation.
- Rebuild your vape: Fill your tank up with E-liquid and get back to vaping normally. You should have a cleaner-tasting vape, as if you had brand new coils.